Placeways builds custom software tools and web applications for interactive scenario analysis and 3-D visualization.
Drawing from our years of experience developing both custom applications and commercial-class tools like CommunityViz, we create unique software applications to meet your specific needs: tools that make your work faster, more effective, and more efficient.
Clients choose Placeways when they need tools and web applications that will connect information with audiences: either graphically, through maps and interactive controls, and/or visually, through interactive, well designed 3-D models. The sophistication of tools ranges from simple to robust. The results are tools that can bring new depth and insight to a particular project, or a new level of efficiency and repeatability to a type of project you do again and again.
Placeways has particularly strong expertise in
- GIS (geospatial) technology
- Interactive tools for decision-making
- 3-D modeling
- Cross-disciplinary tool integration and model integration
How We Work
Placeways' approach is highly collaborative. We pay careful attention to the spoken and unspoken needs of our tools' users, working hard to design tools that make sense and are easy to use. We communicate with you frequently. When working remotely, we make maximum use of e-mail, phone, and web communications. When possible, we prefer an iterative development approach in which you have many opportunities to review and improve the tool during the course of development.
Our standards are high, but we work quickly and efficiently. We keep overhead to a practical and responsible minimum. As a firm that also does commercial-class software development, we know how to manage time well and how to avoid the temptations of overcomplicating the project or straying from the core purpose. Yet we also enjoy innovating, and if there are opportunities to use new and better methods and technology, we will surely entertain them in discussion with you.
Recent example projects include:
- Web application for outreach and education about development patterns
- Online interactive tools for educating audiences about regional transportation plans
- Interactive graphical interface for human services program selection
- Hazard planning tool integration with CommunityViz
- Integration framework combining advance growth models with CommunityViz
- Wind farm analysis and visualization model
- Integration framework combining detailed cost-of-service models with CommunityViz
- Parking requirements model and building footprint optimization
- And more
Is there a project you are considering? We would be happy to talk with you about the possibilities.